Monday, September 10, 2007

Iraq, War & Politics: I'm tired! Are you?

I guess after General Petraeus's report to Congress today along with one from Ambassador Ryan Crocker, I am a bit exhausted. It was 6 plus hours of testimony where the outcome had been decided in advance by both sides of the debate. It wasn't even covered by major networks. I had to watch it on C-Span. Both men were articulate, although not as informative as many wanted. To be honest, we are in this war past the 2008 election, as nothing will take place to get us out. I don't like it, but I am going to live with it.

Why you ask? I'll give you the best reasons I can. First of all, I'm tired of the whole thing. I have been disappointed by this President, VP and entire Administration for the continued subversion of the Constitution. I am tired that only one or two Republican leaders like Sen. Chuck Hagel, Sen. John Warner and Rep. Ron Paul, haven't put their party ahead of the country and the Constitution. And I am tired of the impotent Democrats who removed their saber tooth after getting a majority in the last election and must have checked it, along with their spines, at the door of Congress and the Senate.

I'm tired of trying to convince the public through my writings here to mobilize and get involved while they are too busy with taking their kids to school, shopping at Wal-Mart, working at their jobs relentlessly each week. I'm tired of trying to convince others that they can make a difference because they truly don't care.

So here's where I'm coming out of this. If the Military families, who bear the greatest sacrifice for the consequences of this war, aren't protesting in the streets in significant numbers, and we don't have an Army that is going AWOL in mass, then I say keep at it this war and let's focus instead on Britany Spears or some good entertainment like the new Fall schedule of shows. Then we'll be close to Christmas shopping, which always starts before Thanksgiving. Before you know it we will be enjoying the next summer. Wake me up on November 3rd, 2008 so I can vote on November 4th, 2008. I feel better now, almost rested. But then, there’s tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"... Sen. Chuck Hagel, Sen. John Warner and Rep. Ron Paul, have put their party ahead of the country and the Constitution"

I'm assuming you mean "have refused to put their party ahead..."

6:11 PM  
Blogger Charles Amico said...

Yes, that is correct. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati Profile