Sunday, November 15, 2009

Change We Can Believe In?



I was watching a news clip yesterday and saw pictures of President Obama at an Asian Conference abroad. It had the heads of state of the Nations attending all dressed in local garb and then taking the obligatory photo. Included in the group was our President who was in local dress also and it reminded me of the phrase, "Change We Can Believe In". In that moment I asked myself was President Obama the change I was looking for. The answer is unequivocally, YES!

For the past 10 to 15 years, I have been embarrassed by our Presidents. Yes, first it was with Bill Clinton and his sexual escapades with the culmination of the Monica Lewinsky affair and subsequently his impeachment. Then it was 8 long years of President Bush. He was a terrible President, embarrassing not just me, but an entire nation. When he just sat there during the 9/11 attacks, reading with children in a classroom, staying seated even after being told we were being attacked. As President he not only did what he could to subvert the Constitution with his sidekick, VP Dick Cheney, and lied about WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction) in Iraq, fudging stories, about yellow cake uranium in Niger, to scare us about yellow mushroom clouds in our future if we didn't authorize the attack on Iraq. But even a small matter embarrassed me, President Bush couldn't even pronounce the word "Nuclear". But yesterday, as I watched our President mingling with World leaders, I finally said to myself, YES, President Obama is the Change We Can Believe In. But because I have been so disappointed for so many years, I must add the words, So Far! I just hope we are not disappointed, as we have many times before. We are in year one of his Presidency, but so far so good.

You see, there are some things to be grateful for, this Thanksgiving. You may or may not like President Obama's politic, but I think you can agree that so far he has not embarrassed us as President. Thank you Mr. President, thank you so very much! Finally a President who is what he had promised us in many ways.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Minneloushe said...

Amen... also to your caveat. Obama is still way too conservative for my taste, but he is a Mensch. He said from the get-go that "the ship of state turns but slowly." The entrenched powers are so deeply embedded in the fabric of society that no president is powerful enough to excise them surgically. The patient has cancer, metastasized widely, and only a true holistic approach to the general health of the patient may cure society, or at least stave off death for a while.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Mac Carter said...

Well said, Charles. Happy Thanksgiving.

Mac

5:58 AM  
Blogger Charles Amico said...

Thanks for the comments. But be careful as it encourages me to continue to write. :)

An early Happy Thanksgiving.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati Profile