Monday, July 04, 2011

Reflections on how jobs are lost and created.

I went to the supermarket this morning to buy a few groceries so I can make a nice dinner today. As I went up to the register which was open, I noticed another man going to the self serve register. You know what those are. That's where you take your own groceries out of your cart, pass them by the bar code reader, then bag your own groceries and pay with a credit card. Well, this man was talking to another about the economy and the lack of jobs, without any awareness of what he was just doing using that self serve checkout system.

Come to think of it most Americans seem oblivious to the fact that is as much our responsibility to create jobs, as is the Congress, the President, and big business. Every time I go to the supermarket, I notice that some responsible person is bringing their shopping cart back to the area where they are stored and probably patting themselves on the back for doing it, rather than leaving the cart between cars or in walkways in the parking lot. But what I remember was when I was a kid of 16, that was my job. I was hired to get the carts and return them to their storage place so that customers didn't have to think about returning them or having them hit cars. It didn't pay terrifically but it did help me buy a car.

I ask you this Independence Day to consider what you do to eliminate jobs and what you can do instead to keep the ones we have and create more jobs. Try tipping a little more than usual for good service on the condition the person you give the tip to hears you say, "I'm tipping you a little extra today for your good service, but I have a favor. Please make sure you do the same and either pass it on to someone else who gives you good service with the same condition or treat yourself to something nice. The main thing is keep that tip moving to as many people as possible. If we all do that we will spur on this economy in spite of Congress, the President and big business. YES WE CAN!

Happy 4th of July.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

July 4, 2011. Mark Zandi, chief economist for Moodys states: "we've seen the bulk of the slowdown, I think we're going to reaccelerate". Zandi predicts the US economy will rebound close to 3% growth in the third quarter and approach 4% in the fourth.

Will I ever be able to survive the mistake I made in the purchase of TZA?
With already the mass exodus in volume having occured. Seems as though most are holding steady waiting for the rebound. Looks as though instead of going short I should have continued to HOLD!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Charles Amico said...

Anonymous, since the manipulation of the stock market by the Fed, it is impossible to predict anything. That has been true now for the past year. I am in the same spot you are with one exception, I still believe the manipulation can only go so far. I kept my TZA foolishly and today even bought some TZA Call Options for October at a Strike Price of $41. I may be crazy, but I am consistently so. I know that's no consolation for you. Sorry about that. I have not given up on this trade.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati Profile