Thursday, July 05, 2007

An unpatriotic 4th of July

Memories of past July 4ths didn't resonate with me this year. It was troubling to say the least. I spent some time wondering why I had this sick feeling in my stomach and finally understood why I had this unsettling trauma. It was because this year, for the first time in my life, I felt that the American people and our elected officials have let me down. I haven't felt patriotic about our freedoms much, over the past 7 years, I have seen these freedoms trashed by a President and VP who have no concern for the heritage of our country and its way of life. They wanted to go back to the days when we had a King and they anointed themselves Co-Kings. So when the parade in my town began, I watched the Fire Department lead the parade with its engines blasting sirens, the Medics in their Emergency vehicles and some local Emergency Response teams pass by. I admire them all and have become a first responder in an emergency in my community and I try to learn what I can from them to help my local community in an unforseen emergency. But after they passed, I turned and went home, realizing, that for me, the idea of our freedom and the patriotic feelings I once had, were gone. All because of our Co-Kings, Bush and Cheney, and a seemingly paralyzed Congress, where Republicans dare to support both of them still, even after all their failings. Keith Obermann of MSNBC said it best referring to Bush and Cheney when he said, "They should both resign".

The Congress hasn't the guts to do the right thing. Good people like Senators Dianne Feinstein, Joe Biden, Richard Lugar, John Warner, and others, are too afraid to spend time on removing them from office. They believe to do this correctly would take too much time. It really doesn't. All they have to do is to ask for a vote of impeachment. No need for a trial in the Congress or Senate. Their duplicity is well known in many violations of the Constitution and the Geneva Convention. Just have the vote and see who has guts. The ones that don't should all be removed from office. We are all held hostge by our own elected officials as they will not do the correct thing and move this issue to the front burner putting their own needs for getting reelected after those of their country and their constituents.

Now you know why I didn't feel so patriotic yesterday. Something has been lost and the American people are fast asleep at the switch. Shame, shame for the country, its history and its politic.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati Profile