Thursday, September 04, 2008

Did Palin do the job? It depends on your choice of politic

Sarah Palin did what she was supposed to do last night and she did it well: She read the teleprompter and was able to unite the base. But not for one second of the speech did she inspire me like Obama had with his speech of change last week. Her speech was aimed at camouflaging the accusations against the Bush/Cheney Administration and their failed policies of the past 8 years and to get the listener forget it was the Republican Party that brought this failed policy to us all. We are supposed to forget that John McCain supported the policies of the Bush/Cheney Administration over 90% of the time. And when it counted most, on the issue of torture, John McCain let the nation down, and caved in to the Bush/Cheney Administration requests to squash his opposition to the Bill the Senate was trying to pass which would clearly have stopped torture. I remember McCain's initial rebuttal of the Bush Administrations policy of torture when Gonzales and company redefined what torture was. But as the Bill got a bipartisan support in favor of rebuking Bush, McCain caved.

The speeches by Palin, Giuliani, Romney and others were not inspiring but more of the divisive rhetoric we have had for the past 8 years. It is time for a change in the politics as usual, as Barack Obama has asked for. But the tack the Republicans have decided to take, clear Karl Rove politics, are tiring at best. I really tried to be unbiased last night. I was looking to be inspired and instead I walked away feeling disgusted. I even watched C-Span so I wouldn't be influenced by the media, one way or another. How disappointing to see that about half the country relishes the politics of the past. It's so Neanderthal. I want a real change. I want Barack Obama and Joe Biden to win in November!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charles, as someone who was on the floor of the convention last night, I have to say I thought Palin gave a great speech. I listened not so much to what she said but how she said it. She was confident, feisty and strong. And she connects with regular people in a way that Barack Obama does not. (And shouldn't we be comparing her to Joe Biden?)

McCain picked her in part because she is a reformer like him and in part because she fires up the conservative base. You can't expect either of them to make the sorts of criticims you seek, but because they run as a reform ticket, the recognition that change is needed is implicit.

McCain will, in the end, be McCain. We've seen him for a decade and he has shown a willingness to buck the party on principle and to cross the aisle to get things done. I have liked this man for a long time and I trust him. And I am a loyal person. Obama can inspire, but he has no history of challenging his own party, he has one of the most liberal voting records in the senate he doesn't have enough history for us to know whether he can govern. I'm voting for McCain.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Charles Amico said...

John, I appreciate your comments but you didn't tell me if she inspired you. Barack inspired me, she didn't. You say you didn't listen as much to what she said, but how she said it. I think it is more important to listen to what she said.

Looking forward to discussing this more, in person, over the next month or so.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati Profile