Thursday, May 07, 2009

Market Outlook for May 7th and the near term (UPDATE)

It is feeling to me this rally is going to continue. When you add some apparent news on Retail, which is better than expected, and you have a real rally going on. I knew this rally was going to be for real, but I didn't know it was going to be so steady and strong, even on less volume. All my indicators show a continuation of this trend, as there doesn't seem to be bad news enough for the pullback I anticipated. But heck, maybe that is the exact moment when things are too optimistic. :)

The Put to Call ratio closed yesterday at 0.77 and the VIX Index closed at 32.45, which is thew lowest it has been since September, the beginning of the Sub Prime impact on markets. Yesterdays Volume for Dow and Nasdaq stocks hasn't been this high since April 20th. So the gain yesterday was convincing, at least to me. The Nasdaq Composite Index did end the day with a Hammer Candlestick pattern suggesting this is the end on the move up for that Index. The Dow ended the day with a Doji Cross pattern, suggesting a draw in the contest between Bulls and Bears.

There is an expression my Uncle uses in times like this, "don't fight the tape". I think it is appropriate at this juncture of the market, and I did fight it all the way. I should sometime listen to my own advice which I made about this rally back in mid March, this rally is for real and many may regret not having stocks in their portfolio becasue there will be some good gains."

FAZ shows a clear confirmation of a Sell Confirmed signal at the close yesterday by AmericanBull.com, so I may sell my few shares in it today. Regarding my shares of TZA, currently at $26.12/share, AmericanBull.com suggests a Buy If signal at the close yesterday. I am going to continue to hold these shares and may buy more to average down my costs on the shares. The market will eventually pull back and we are closer to the top of the range now, not the bottom, with the Dow closing yesterday at 8,567. I had said the top of this range is 9,200 and the bottom of this range is 7,300, so we are clearly nearer the top. The 200 day Moving Average crosses the Dow now at 9,000, so I do not see us going over this level.

When you compare where we are now, relative to 9,000, we are set for a pullback very soon. So I am holding on to my TZA shares and may take some profits now on some recent gainers and not try to time the top. This rally is not a call to Buy and Hold, but to trade it. These markets will not return to Dow 10,000 any time soon. So trading for profit is the only wise play going forward. If you can't do that, better keep your assets in cash.

UPDATE: 9:30am PST

It looks like the Nasdaq hammer Candlestick pattern was correct, the market has pulled back. Volume on both the Nasdaq and Dow are ahead of yesterday's good volume, so this downside move has more to go and may start a real reversal in trend. Gold is up to $914/ounce.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati Profile