Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Market comments for Nov. 9th, 2011

Sorry I haven't posted recently, I was away back east to see my Mom and when I returned I had caught a very bad cold. But I'm back now and let's get at it.

I have watched the rise of the Dow recently as well as the other indexes over the 200 day Moving averages. But todays drop of between 200 and 300 points this morning, shows the strength of the 200 day MA line as a resistance level. The market actions have not made sense given the news in Europe and the fact that our own government may get downgraded as well for a second time. Greece has not really solved its problem but they did replace their leader. Italy may replace its leader as well, but replacing the leader doesn't solve this crisis in either countries and more than it would here. The problems are similar and the pain will have an impact and it is human to avoid pain. So my guess is that these problems will unfold stubbornly over time. The only solution I can see is a breakup of the EU in some fashion. Either the countries of the south like Greece and Italy will not be part of the EU anymore and possibly Portugal, or the entire EU will eventually dissolve.

Below are the charts for the Dow, S&P 500, the Nasdaq and the Russell 2000 with their 200 day Moving Average lines. Unless the market can stay above these levels we are headed lower. Needless to say, it may be true again that the last rally we had was a bear trap. More on that over the weekend.



Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Charles,

Hope you had a great visit with your mom. Hope you are OK. Missed reading your comments.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Charles Amico said...

It was a good visit. Thanks, I'll try to post more frequently when I recover from my cold.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati Profile